Wednesday, June 13, 2012

We're Making Sourdough! Day 8/ Rye Day 4: Giving Up

Sorry this was delayed. At the end of the post, or half way through or so, you'll see why. I kind of quit the homemade starter thing for now, mostly because it uses up a lot of flour and doesn't give me any results, and I don't really want yet another thing in my life that's taking lots of effort but producing no results. So, without further ado, day 8/ rye day 4.

Day 8 (11:30): Some bubbles on top, but no change in volume. Yeasty smell in the oven, but not in the jar. No hooch visible. Removed 225 g starter, leaving 225 g in the jar, and added 100 g tap water and 50 g whole wheat flour.

It's doing something other than making hooch = success.
Bubbly!

Ah, new lines.

Regrettably, I didn't take a picture of what it looked like in the afternoon. There was a thick layer of bubbles on top of a thick layer of liquid-looking stuff, which was on top of a much thicker layer of flour gloop. The overall volume did not change. So, I stirred it and put it back in the oven.
Oops.
It promptly went flat and had developed a thin layer of hooch on top by four hours later. It smelled terrible. 

So, at 23:30 or so, I chucked it down the sink and rinsed out the applesauce jar.

Return of the Hooch

Lots of hooch.


 Maybe one of these days I'll get some starter from the bakery down the street, but for now I'm going to focus on other things.Like waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment